- Thinks hard about what kind of food is going into your kids body?
- Tries to include art and music education in your child’s daily education?
- Takes your kids traveling intentionally to get them away from the comforts they are used to and to see something new?
- Tries to encourage reading as a fundamental lifelong habit?
- Attempts to leave some space in your childs schedule so that they might be bored and eventually realize it’s impossible if they really think about it?
- Stops what you are doing to listen to your child when they are talking and truly hear them?
- Would rather include your child in the dinner conversation and not have them sit somewhere else?
Parenting is hard.
I wish I was this type of parent all the time but I fail often. A friend recently told me that because I’m the type of parent that does one of these things, my kids are going to be ok. What a compliment.
Even if you don’t do the above, but maybe aspire to, your kids are going to be alright. Kids are smarter and more resilient than we give them credit for and, as for the things you are saying? They are hearing you even though it may not seem like it.
We all do the opposite sometimes and beat ourselves up over it.
Instead, think about the type of parent you are, or want to be, and give yourself a break.
Then start again.
This parenting stuff is hard.