It’s actually been 103 days since we started to be precise. I’ve gone around the roller coaster of emotions so many times now I’m bored of it. Or numb. Or maybe I’ve actually learned through the process how to manage what I can control and what I can’t?
Regardless, we are in the final stretch of our house renovation where a bunch of things are slated to happen and we can finally see a date when we can move out from my in-law’s place. I’ll document them here and let’s see how close we still are in a couple weeks shall we?
Behold, THE PROJECT SCHEDULE FROM NOW UNTIL MOVE IN DATE!!**
- Week of April 18 – kitchen window done and additional plastering done
- Week of April 25 – kitchen fitted, appliances installed, template for kitchen counters done, bedroom doors and cupboards started
- Week of May 2 – flooring complete, bathroom tiling started, bedroom doors and cupboards completed
- Week of May 9 – bathroom tiling completed, internal electrical fittings completed and tested
- Week of May 16 – countertop installed, misc kitchen finishing, internal painting started
- Week of May 23 – internal painting done, carpets installed in bedrooms
- Week of May 30 – ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Start to move back in? 🤞🏼 ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
**This is completely expected to change but goddamn if I’m not pushing hard as hell to make it happen. Also, this timeline doesn’t include a bunch of external work like the construction of the porch, back patio, exterior rendering, the exterior electrical stuff, etc. All that will continue to be done in parallel as
my builder feels like it the weeks go on. I’ll add those details in to a future update. 😉
🗒 Sidenote: Here is what the exterior design is going to look like (using Siberian larch, not oak as mentioned, for the wood):
I’m learning how to communicate and engage better with our builder now. As you might expect, I’m using Notion to document and share my weekly notes/issues for discussion and track progress. We’ll probably be a well-oiled machine just about the time we’re done.
I’m also learning that I could have saved myself a lot of pain two months ago by putting on my project manager hat a lot earlier in the process. Part of me didn’t want to have to do that, but now that I have, I feel better, even if I still don’t really have control over what happens.
I’ve gone into full detail and note-taking mode now. Here is my latest sequence of shots and notes I sent over to the builder this week (along with the timeline above) to give you a sense of how much you probably wouldn’t want to be working with me on this project:
I know, this looks like a crapload of work still needs to get done and that’s true. But things are moving and even these photos taken a few days ago are a bit out of date now so you’ll have to trust me, there is light visible at the end of this tunnel.
103 days and counting. All eyes on May 30th!